Wednesday, January 12, 2011

More great history books

Heather Cox Richardson has a wonderful post on The Historical Society's blog, in which she imagines an American history course built around four old classics and four new ones. Of course it warms my heart to hear more about fine books like Edmund Morgan's American Slavery, American Freedom; Robert White's The Middle Ground; Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's A Midwife's Tale; and Robert Mazrim's The Sangamo Frontier: History and Archaeology in the Shadow of Lincoln.

What could be better than seeing old friends appreciated? Learning four more titles that I haven't yet read. I can hardly wait. Now I know where to spend my Christmas loot!

1 comment:

Julie Michutka said...

The book A Midwife's Tale changed the way I thought about history. Someone made the book into a documentary-type film maybe 20 years ago, and alternated scenes from the book with interviews with the author about her research. And that changed how I thought about doing research.

If these other books are in the same category, then I definitely need to put them on my reading list! Thanks for bringing them to our attention.