Wednesday, April 11, 2018

You want a desecrated cemetery? I'll show you a desecrated cemetery!

Thanks to Dick Eastman for picking up the ongoing saga of the casual burial and unburial of deceased paupers and mental patients on the northwest side of Chicago in the Dunning neighborhood.

Those looking for more details (and indications that Chicago's standards may have declined over the last 30 years) can find my lengthy article, "Grave Mistake," in the archives of the Chicago Reader, 21 September 1989.  At that time it was a housing development; now it's a school. A lot has happened since then, but you get the idea.


2 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

Harold, when I click on the link to Dick Eastman's article, it just goes to the Blogger website. I think the link is https://blog.eogn.com/2018/04/10/chicago-schoolhouse-is-being-built-on-site-of-estimated-38000-unmarked-graves/.

Harold Henderson said...

Thanks, Miriam! I think it is fixed now. (It passed the internal link test so I had better double check these in the future.)